Daily Journal

Analogous

In a testament to how switched off I am… I only realized it was memorial day when I logged into my trading account and started wondering why the markets were so weird and directionless… (and even then, I didn’t ‘click’ straight away)

Seriously, the world can’t do anything without America. Well… we can… its just that the United States is like your older brother… with the car (a case could be made that it won’t let anyone else drive) and so… either you have to wait or walk.

large.jpg

Also… they may punch you in face first before agreeing to take you anywhere.

30 Comments

1. jim-

May 27, 2019 at 1:11 pm

We are big brother. I don’t think you meant it that way but very well said. The religious control this country and they fail (or refuse) to see that they are the epitome what they despise.

1. Jo

May 27, 2019 at 1:21 pm

There is a very strange dichotomy that develops at the apex of civilization and I suppose all empires go through it…

But maybe it should all be ying and yang. Good and bad. I don’t know.

1. jim-

May 27, 2019 at 1:25 pm

all empires go through it… Right before they crash… For so much talk about purpose, very few seem to have anything meaningful until they find a good Rx to confirm their deeply held beliefs.

2. Jo

May 27, 2019 at 1:34 pm

I really want the states to be the empire that bucks the trend. I really like you guys and I want y’all to be the paragon but there is hubris up at the top there… and it is so destructive.

The other half of me just shrugs and points to the cyclical nature of all things. That half also thinks my daughters should be learning mandarin…

3. jim-

May 27, 2019 at 1:38 pm

If they know Chinese and can type they can write their own adventure. Did I ever tell you my “parental must”? My kids all learned to type at 7 or 8. Between that and speaking Spanish they are employable anywhere, any time. It’s kinda my fall back strategy. They will always be able to provide for themselves no matter how lacking their education may turn out to be.

4. Jo

May 27, 2019 at 1:47 pm

Oh this we agree 100% I am less enthused about university and higher education these days. But a second language (albeit one of the top five) and typing are a phenomenal skill-set to have.

5. jim-

May 27, 2019 at 1:54 pm

And it’s free. My current 8 year old types 20 min a day without looking (typing.com) and speaks Spanish. I got no worries.

2. tara caribou

May 27, 2019 at 8:23 pm

I think it’s interesting that you say “religious control” when I think it’s very anti-religious in nature. But yes, I would agree the government seems very big-brother.

1. jim-

May 27, 2019 at 8:31 pm

I have trouble separating the two. Christianity= Christians, and Christians = Christianity, and the entire government is a vast majority of Christians, although they like to separate themselves from the outcomes of Christendom, I have trouble affording then that when widespread it is a system of control and oppression when left to its own devices.

2. tara caribou

May 27, 2019 at 8:37 pm

A person can say they are Christian (or anything else for that matter) all day long. Doesn’t make them a Christian. I would say that the vast majority are NOT true Christians, if they have studied that faith at all. Just like I’ve known quite a few “Muslims” but only one who actually adhered to the Islam faith. People say things all day long, but actions speak louder than words. For instance, I see people here on WordPress and on Instagram who claim to be photographers but are just pointing and clicking their camera with little to no skill… same with those who claim to be writers and yet all they make are memes and so-called micro-poetry. Doesn’t make them a photographer or a writer. Regardless, I just thought it was very interesting that that was your comment. (I’m totally fine with agreeing to disagree, just an observation.) That said, I can see what you’re saying and I don’t fully disagree.

3. jim-

May 27, 2019 at 8:39 pm

Nice way of putting that. Thanks.

4. tara caribou

May 27, 2019 at 8:41 pm

I’m kind of a stickler for terminology. (Drives those who know me well a little batty lol)

5. jim-

May 27, 2019 at 8:50 pm

The sticker seems to be there are no true Christians at all. Everyone thinks everyone is doing it wrong. This I agree. No “signs greater than these follow them that believe”. Either everyone is just pretending, or the promise was a lie.

6. tara caribou

May 27, 2019 at 9:06 pm

Regardless of Christianity, which I think I know how you feel about that… do you consider yourself a spiritual person? One who is in touch with the spiritual part of the human? Have you had or do you have spiritual experiences?

7. jim-

May 27, 2019 at 9:24 pm

I made a 50 year run at it. But no, i don’t consider myself spiritual. I had some emotional experiences but nothing outside of the regular dopaminergic and other hormonal responses. I was told at the time it was the spirit, but no. Sometimes I even had those “spiritual” encounters over outright fabrications. I lost faith over what I observed vs what I was taught and read. That and prayer. Lots of prayer. Then i got into neurology studies and endocrinology. Every spiritual experience, OBE’s and dreams, visions and whatnot all can be duplicated in a lab. Even morality itself comes and goes with brain insult or tumors, or their removal. It turns out that it’s all in our heads.
        I was reading a couple years ago about shadow people and phantom limb pain (of all things) Research shows that these things are a projection of self. Strap into the EEG and stimulate certain areas of the brain and voilet! You can see angels and dead relatives (or your missing limb for that matter)
        I have some ideas on life and consciousness, but they’re mine for the time being as I try to construct something sensible without all the outside influences telling me what it all means. That was the goal of my blog. What would I see if I could throw out all the bias I could, start fresh without believing anything, and see where I go with nature and my observations of humanity. I’ve never read an atheist book, nor do I watch the videos. But I’m open to any evidence from any direction.

8. tara caribou

May 27, 2019 at 9:28 pm

Thanks for that explanation. That insight helps a lot in interactions (present or future).

9. tara caribou

May 27, 2019 at 9:45 pm

Out of curiosity, so you believe that the human being has a mind, a body, and a spirit and soul?

10. jim-

May 27, 2019 at 9:59 pm

I wouldn’t say I believe those things for they have no utility. If I were to venture a guess it would be some form of energy that lingers or lives on. The earth does seem to be a focal point of consciousness in the universe. What I’ve worked out in my own mind is the earth (most likely candidate) attracts and exudes or permeates this “consciousness” and directs dna to map out organisms that are capable of this potential. Not really as a conscious “effort”, but as a very narrow window where life can exist when conditions are met, and then it will happen regardless.
        Like the human body. We have a pH of 7.3-7.4. Anything outside that window will not support this level of life, but will recycle in some way until it does. The earth itself is a very narrow window. Our chronic genetics are sick and it’s contaminating our potential for intelligent life forms to exist.
        We see this in the death of any “body” when conditions are too polluted for life to exist. I’m still working on this in my own way, but this is a rough draft, more or less. Be curious to know what you think, or am I just crazy?

11. tara caribou

May 27, 2019 at 10:43 pm

Very very interesting (and deep) thoughts here. It must be difficult to navigate a society that largely disagrees with your worldview. For instance, I myself often write about mysteries of the heart and soul and love. It appears as if to you these are mere figments if my imagination. Which begs the question, you have talked about life, but what about imagination? Where does that come from?

I completely agree that much of what we experience can be explained by variations in our brains and our chemistry. Drugs are a perfect example of such observations. I myself have done copious amounts of LSD in my younger years and I can attest to the hallucinations and ‘spiritual’ journeys. But just because the drug was a vehicle to such things (in my mind) doesn’t necessarily negate the spiritual experiences. Somewhat similar as your “Christian” experiences.

I do think that you and I could have some very very good discussions about this as I can see you are a deep, well-thought-out thinker. Email me anytime.

12. jim-

May 27, 2019 at 10:54 pm

Thanks. It is not difficult to navigate at all. In my case (and many others) the key to understanding is unbelief. What’s funny, It also allowed me to finally be myself without giving a fuck what everyone else thinks. I think the herd is important for many people, until it isn’t. The number one regret of hospice patients is a spent life living life on everyone else’s terms.
        We have billions of people following the same thing, until they mature in the faith enough to stop pretending. Let me be clear though. I do not discount that some people are differently. attuned to the universe and take advantage of its properties. They do not, however, come from the big box plug and play religions. That’s a money game full of con men that live the epitome of the sunk cost fallacy. They have so much invested they keep pretending long after they know the game. It all boils down to self doubt—everybody can’t be wrong, can they? Emphatically yes. And often are.

13. tara caribou

May 27, 2019 at 11:05 pm

I agree wholeheartedly. Especially your comments on living your life according to others whims as well as “religion”. I am a spiritual person who is very attuned to spiritual things BUT I don’t adhere to the standard religions. I have also have had some dee experiences that have led me to my conclusions. It sounds like you and I have thought about some similar things and come to very nearly the same conclusions, though still a different world-view. That’s okay too. I am very open to discussion. Especially discussion that leads me to deeper thought and makes me uncomfortable. (If that makes sense.)

14. jim-

May 27, 2019 at 11:17 pm

Absolutely. One of my favorite readers is a spiritual empath who has really added some wonder to my way of thinking. I am open to finding truth, but not at the cost of obvious, visible, negative outcomes, like we see in the churches.
        Interestingly I have been accused several times of being a disciple of the four horseman of atheism. I’ve never read them, but came to my conclusions by my own observations. I have a special talent of relating seemingly disparate topics and weaving it all together.
        I’ll give you a small example. Christians are to eschew pride and submit to faith. Faith becomes the epitome of pride through repetition and submission. And it’s a stubborn pride that handwaves evidence before the sentence is even finished. What happens through repetition is the neurons become hardwired and now we are arguing reason against a physiology. It’s quite fascinating really, and scientifically very sound. But those are the types of things I put together after they ferment in my mind a couple days. I have more if your interested.

15. tara caribou

May 28, 2019 at 12:55 am

Haha. The four horseman of atheism? Never heard of that. But it sounds like a rip on the four horseman of the apocalypse (so-called) from the book of the Revelation in the Bible. I don’t know why that makes me giggle but it does (is it an irony??) anyway… made me giggle regardless.

16. jim-

May 28, 2019 at 1:02 am

It’s actually a take off the title of the book, referring to the 4 musketeers, but a lot of people confuse them with revelation.
        Sam Harris, Dan Dennett, Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins. They’re pretty popular amongst the heathen. Lol. I happy you got a chuckle.

17. tara caribou

May 28, 2019 at 1:16 am

Ahhhh I see. I have not read that before.

18. jim-

May 27, 2019 at 10:58 pm

I’d like that—shoot me a note Jim.cannon63@yahoo.com Looking forward to more of your thoughts.

19. jim-

May 27, 2019 at 10:59 pm

Oh, and one more thing. Love can only be defined by the individual. I have found my groove, although some would say it’s not real, but that is love.

2. jim-

May 27, 2019 at 11:34 pm

Thanks for letting us hijack your blog. Muchas gracias amigo.

1. Jo

May 28, 2019 at 6:29 am

Jesus…

1. jim-

May 28, 2019 at 12:22 pm

Lol. Yes, what do you want?