Daily Journal

Not of the apocalypse

This is basically just a transcript of a Youtube video (admittedly it is potentially one of the greatest videos ever to be uploaded to Youtube), bound in a hardback and given a pretty foreword by Stephen Fry. I am (apparently) a gushing fanboy and therefore completely powerless when it comes to resisting this kind of gimmicky, consumerism claptrap. (Will)power was my dump-stat.

IMG-2976.JPG

I do have to admit something… I always just assumed that when they (Dawkins, Dennet, Harris and Hitchens) were referred to as ‘the Four Horsemen’… I just surmised they meant, of the Apocalypse. I mean I didn’t really give it much thought, that sorta made sense to me, insofar as the horsemen of the apocalypse are a sign of the nearing of the end times (My knowledge of all things apocalypse and its precursors is based almost entirely on the reading of Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman and may therefore contain some ontological gaps).

In any event reading the foreword I was horrified to discover they ACTUALLY meant Arthos, Porthos, Aramis and d’Artagnan. (As in the musketeers) with nary an apocalypse in sight.

Ha ha. I had to laugh at myself. I am such a dumbass.

I also have to admit I kinda liked Stephen Fry’s Foreword. Even though I tried not to. I have a pathological aversion towards Forewords. Why can’t books (or even transcripts) just stand on their own merit. Why do they need someone to set the scene or give context or even (in some cases) apologize for the offence that might be taken within the confines of the dust-cover. Stop treating us like idiots. (Even though, in some cases, and I am mostly speaking for myself, we are).

6 Comments

1. jim-

March 22, 2019 at 11:54 am

The highwaymen would’ve been cool too. If a book is good I’ll read the forward afterward. Just how I roll. I would like to have that book. I should probably read some atheism eventually since I’m a member.

1. Jo

March 22, 2019 at 12:14 pm

Wow, really? All your posts are self… whats the word I’m looking for… conceptualised? Color me seriously impressed. I stand in awe.

1. jim-

March 22, 2019 at 12:30 pm

I made it a point when I started this blog to rely on my own senses and the everyday unbeliever. I fell into a great group of people for sure, but I write what I see, not what I’m told. Often when arguing with believers it’s obvious they are recycling what they’ve been told, not what they have learned. I wanted to write what I observe, and not what was already carefully thought into words. If atheism had merit, I should be able to come to my own conclusion without herd pressure. I’ve not watched any atheist videos either but a couple that came up in my discussions.

2. Jo

March 22, 2019 at 7:47 pm

That is really an imposing body of original work. I hope you’re planning on publishing it all one day? You really should.

3. jim-

March 22, 2019 at 8:15 pm

Thanks Jo. I haven’t really thought about that but it would be a good demonstration of what one can do if they put aside all the influences and commentary and sit back and watch. I appreciate the compliment. Means a lot.

4. Jo

March 23, 2019 at 3:44 am

In the very least I expected a signed copy. And maybe some commendation in the acknowledgements section. And if you want to dedicate the whole thing to me… I’ll understand. Ha ha.